How To Set Cameras to Record in Bulk
Affected Roles: Administrator
Related Digital Watchdog VMS Apps: DW Spectrum Desktop
Software Version: 3.2
Last Edit: March 4, 2020
DW Spectrum IPVMS is free to use for streaming live video from IP cameras through a Server. However, if you want to have the ability to record and playback footage, the use of a recording license is required to archive the data on the server. In most cases, you can simply toggle the camera to record. However, if you have many cameras to apply recording licenses to, it can be quite time consuming to do one at a time. Instead, this article will go over how to apply the licenses and assign the cameras to record at the same time.
Supported / Effected Devices:
1) Launch your DW Spectrum Client and connect with your server. Open the System Administration menu and select the Licenses tab at the top of the window.
2) Under Internet Activation, enter the license key for the recording license pack and select Activate License to add it to the server. The licenses will remain tied to the server and cannot be applied to any cameras from other un-merged servers. To do so, the license would need to be deactivated first.
Note: If your Server does not have internet access, you can select the Manual Activation tab instead and copy the Hardware ID. Email the License Key and the Hardware ID to firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain an activation key file, which you can then use to manually add licences to the Server.
3) Once applied, the license pack information will display under Active Licenses
Applying Licenses (single)
1) Right-click on your camera (either in the resource tree, in the Camera List, or the video window itself) and select Camera Settings
2) Select the Recording tab and turn the Recording toggle ON. Select what type of recording (motion or continuous) that your prefer, set the FPS (Frames Per Second / 15fps should be sufficient), map the recording schedule to the grid, and click Apply.
Note: When you turn the Recording toggle on, the number of licenses in use on the server will display just below.
3) The red circle next to the camera in the resource tree, when filled, indicates that the camera has a license applied and is presently recording.
Applying Licenses (multiple)
1) Open the System Administration menu and select Camera List
2) If you left-click on the first camera that you will be assigning to record, hold down the SHIFT key on your keyboard, and left-click another camera in the list, multiple cameras will be selected. Alternatively, you can hold CTRL and click on the individual cameras to select each one.
With your group highlighted, right-click on one of the highlighted cameras and select Cameras Settings
3) Select the Recording tab and turn the Recording toggle ON. Select what type of recording (motion or continuous) that your prefer, set the FPS (Frames Per Second / 15fps should be sufficient), map the recording schedule to the grid, and click Apply. All of your selected cameras should now have these settings applied and begin recording.
Note: When you turn the Recording toggle on, the number of licenses in use on the server will display just below it.