adding cameras to an HDspotmod from spectrum
In some cases, cameras will need to be added manually to an HDSPOTMOD, rather than allowing the device to scan/detect for cameras automatically. This guide will go over the different ways that cameras can be added manually when using Spectrum, VMAX A1, VMAX A1 Plus, and VMAX IP Plus.
Affected Roles: Administrator
Related Digital Watchdog VMS Apps: DW Spectrum Desktop and Web Viewer
Software Version: Spectrum 3.2 and Up
Last Edit: October 11, 2019
The DW Spot™ Monitoring Module (DW-HDSPOTMOD) allows viewers to monitor and observe the live video streams from select cameras - available in either a 4-channel model or a 16-channel model.
While it may seem more convenient to have your camera(s) stream directly to both the recording device and the HDSPOTMOD, it can actually cause streaming issues as that configuration would be creating more "work" for the camera. This article will go over how to manually assign cameras to an HDSPOTMOD from Spectrum, while avoiding this issue.
NOTE: The DW-HDSPOTMOD only supports h.264 format from cameras. To change this setting, you may need to connect with the camera's web client and change this output setting before adding it to the HDSPOTMOD.
Supported / Affected Devices:
Assigning from Spectrum IPVMS
Spectrum IPVMS is recording software that is utilized in conjunction with IP cameras and network recording systems. In this example, there is a Spectrum server streaming and recording video from an IP camera. We do not want to have the IP camera stream to both the server and the HDSPOTMOD simultaneously, as this may lead to video loss and/or other network-based streaming issues. Instead, it is best to assign the camera to the HDSPOTMOD manually by an RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol) address. Here is how to do so:
1) If you have confirmed that both the Spectrum server and the HDSPOTMOD can communicate with each other, it is easiest to perform this from the HDSPOTMOD web client. To connect, open a browser and connect with the HDSPOTMOD by entering the IP Address and Web Port of the unit.
2) After logging in, select Monitoring >> Registration >> Manual Registration. change the Protocol to "RTSP" and select the Channel that you want the camera's video stream to display in.
3) Open a new tab in your web browser and connect with your Spectrum server's web client. To do so, enter the server's network IP address or, if you're on the server itself, use 127.0.0.1:7001 (default) to connect. Next, enter the Spectrum server's login and select View from the top.
4) Select the camera that you want from the device list on the left. Next, select the "gear" icon in the top-right of the channel, then Camera Details, and then click on RTSP for either the High or Low stream of the camera
5) Copy the URL from the browser window that appears to the HDSPOTMOD registry to the HDSPOTMOD registry, enter the camera's ONVIF profile login in the top right, and select Manual Add.
Camera video should then stream at the HDSPOTMOD's display. There is presently no Live View function for the DW-HDSPOTMOD web client.
To learn how to manually assign cameras to the HDSPOTMOD from other devices, please select one of the links below: